Online Pharmacy Technician Course Curriculum
Our Pharmacy Technician course curriculum is developed by professionals who know exactly what it takes to thrive in this growing field. It's one of the many things that sets Ashworth College apart from other pharmacy technician schools online.
Lesson Group 1: Orientation: Ashworth College Career ProgramLearning at Ashworth
The goals and values of Ashworth College; time management; creating a realistic weekly and monthly study schedule; the nature and purpose of assessments; how to study effectively to prepare for and take an online examination; developing the skill sets necessary for success in the twenty-first century.
Introduction to the basic operations of allied health careers and the legal and ethical issues students may encounter while working in the different venues available for these fields.
Lesson Group 2: Introduction to PharmacyHistory of Pharmacy
Câu lạc bộ VIP bùng nổThe origins of pharmacy and the development of the pharmacy profession up to the twentieth century; the evolution of both the pharmacist and the pharmacy technician; the history of legislation that affects the practice of pharmacy; roles and duties of pharmacists and pharmacy technicians.
Câu lạc bộ VIP bùng nổThe benefits of familiarization with medical terminology; common medical terms and symbols used in pharmaceutical documentation and prescription orders.
The evolution of pharmaceutical practice into a professional career; major professional pharmaceutical societies; the need for pharmacy regulation and standard practice; regulation of controlled substances.
Students learn the fundamentals of pharmaceutical dispensing and are prepared to take the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) certification exam delivered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA), and the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). Program topics include dosage forms, routes of administration, measurements and calculations, infection control, medication safety, prescription reading, and pharmacology. Students will complete a 160 hour externship in a retail pharmacy setting. A student of the Pharmacy Technician program must attain the age of 18 years prior to enrollment and have a High School diploma or its equivalent prior to graduation.
Program objectivesCâu lạc bộ VIP bùng nổ After completing the Pharmacy Technician program, students will be able to:
- Outline the typical responsibilities of a pharmacy technician and describe the personal and professional ethics required for success in this profession
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the pharmacy technician and the pharmacist, explain the differences between these two roles, and outline the regulations imposed on both by state and federal law
- Demonstrate the standard techniques and procedures required of pharmacy technicians for pharmacy operations, including aseptic operations, medication transcriptions, metric/apothecary conversions, drug dispensation, record keeping, and patient profiling
- List and explain all major classifications of drugs and understand their indications, therapeutic effects, side effects, dosing recommendations, routes of administration, and mechanisms of action
- Interact with pharmacists, customers, and business associates, displaying professional skills, appearance, and ethics in a work-experience setting
A prescription for success
In the Pharmacy Technician Career Diploma program, you gain valuable career guidance through your externship experience. But that's not all. Ashworth College also helps you develop the confidence you need to reach for your career goals because we integrate job search prep into your studies. With the online tools at the Ashworth College Central Network, you’ll get step-by-step guidance as you create polished, professional resumes and letters. After you graduate, you’ll keep your Ashworth College Central Network account so you can revisit the tools any time you need to make a good impression on a potential employer. Learn more about it at the Career Services page.